Monday, January 3, 2011

Evans Family Funeral




We had another funeral this week. Two days after Zola's funeral we heard that Aidin Evans who is 25 years old fell off his deck and broke his neck. That was a SHOCK! He was actually released from jail to attend his grandmother's funeral and visited with his family for 1/2 hour before he asked to go to his sisters house to see her and friends. That evening, while goofing around, he fell off the deck and broke his neck. The family are really struggled with this. We were asked again to conduct the prayer service this time (Like a viewing). Dad did a great job and they asked me to lead the singing the night before. We ran to the church to print off copies of music as there are a lot of non members who would be attending. The next day we went to the prayre service. There was no music!!! I stood up there and lead the music and it seemed as though I was the only person singing. The indians sing very low and you can hardly hear them. Most of the people do not know the music anyway. It was a disaster!!! So when it came time to sing the closing song (I am a child of God) I was prompted to aske the children to come and help. I didn't know if any of them would respond because they do not like to be in front of people. The Naiche family children came up and I began calling names of older children (like in their 20's) that I knew had learned the song when they were children. To my surprise, they all hesitated and then one by one came up and sang. I got so emotional because I really didn't expect them to come, but they did. It brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me of the shepherd when he calls his sheep, the sheep know his voice and follow him. Those kids heard the name of the song (I am a child of God) and it was familar to them. They felt the spirit and wanted to share that song and their belief with the audience. This was very spiritual because most of the time they try to hide the fact that they are LDS. But this song meant something to those people and they shared it with the audience. Here we were, about 15 people standing in front of this large crowd in a large assembly room at the Tribal Community Center, singing "I am a child of God -- and with no music!!!!! It was a sight to behold!!!! I certainly felt the spirit!!!! I was Sooooooo


proud of those members!!!!


The funeral was beautiful!! I learned my lesson from the night before and got tapes of the songs we would be singing for the funeral, so I wouldn't have to sing a solo again. It went over very well. However, the last song was "God be with you till we meet again". A flood of memories came over me about my mom and I cried through the whole song. Aiden's mother was crying out loud and that didn't help any either. I must have looked silly, but it was the wa I felt.




We went to the cemetary to bury the casket. Dad helped brother Naiche dedicate the grave. They had some traditional songs in Apache and and Apache speaker. Before they bury the body all the pallbears come and pin a rose on the indian blanket that they have draped over the casket. It is very touching. Then they bring suitcases full of all the dead's belongings and bury them with him. The family come one by one and throw a piece of dirt onto the casket. It is a very solemn occasion and paid with a lot of respect. Then the girls come and place the flowers on the grave and they then place the headstone, which is a cross with his name on it. It was a beautiful funeral. I feel very close to the Apache Indians right now. We have suffered pain with them. They were very kind and loving to us and thanked us for coming and made sure we came to eat with them afterwards.




No comments:

Post a Comment