Monday, May 9, 2011

Pow Wow for the Blessing of Mescalero School































I didn't have time to post these last week so here are the pictures of the Pow Wow that was held at the Mescalero School for their blessing feast. I arrived a little late and they were already in progress so I started taking pictures. Then a loud voice came over the microphone saying NO PICTURES. I felt very foolish and stuck out like a sore thumb as I am white. Then one of the teachers told me it was ok to take pictures so here theyare:






















They began their feast with a grand entrance led by a young man who home on leave from the military. He was huge!!!! The Apache singers sing throughout the whole event and it's hard to know if they are praying or if it is a regular chant so I got myself in a little trouble. I don't speak Apache, soooo. Then the royalty of the school (which by the way are two kids from our church) come in and they are cheered. Then the children all go to the floor and cheer and yell as they dance around the floor to the beat of the drums. Then the women have their dance. This dance is very beautiful. They all have shawls and shuffle in a very meticulous way around the floor. I thought it was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment